Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What to wear in Prague

Now that my November trip to Prague is getting closer I am starting to ask questions! I know it will be cold and it will help that I will be spending the week before in Germany with a similar climate so I will have warm clothes. I have a beautiful black mink jacket that is very stylish and very warm...is fur popular or will I have eggs thrown at me by antifur people?? Do the women wear pants at night...or do they wear skirts and dresses to the nice resturants. I have no concept of how far we will have to walk to things or what the streets are like. I am bringing stylish flat leather walking shoes and one dressy black pair of low heels. To make it easy most of my wardrobe will be black with some splashes of color in scarves, purses and sweaters. This wardrobe gets me by in New York....will it in Prague?? In Portland things have gotten so casual...on any given day when you look around you would think the entire population is going on a hike up to the mountains. So I need some city advise....thanks!




|||



Hi, I was in Prague in January and will also be there in November.





I wore a full length racoon fur coat and like you worried about eggs being thrown at me. I need not have worried, although I did not see any other fur coats I did not get any adverse reactions. Indeed a few English speaking tourists commented on my coat and wished they had one too!





Like all places these days it seemed people were dressed relatively casual. I wore black trousers and black cashmere sweaters for most of the time with black suede boots which had a small heel but were comfortable and did not have a problem with the cobbled streets.





Just wear what you feel good in and yes most women seemed to wear trousers (pants) at night.





Have a good time, it%26#39;s beautiful!




|||



people in eastern europe wear fur to keep warm. You will not have eggs thrown at you. Bring good stout shoes with grips - leave the heels at home. The cobbles get slippery in the wet and mucky in the snow




|||



I bought my waterproof/study/stylish shoes last week and have been breaking them in....no heels for me...except I will bring one nice pair of flats to wear to the resturants at night.




|||



It depends where you are going in Prague. If you%26#39;re walking around the town during the day, most people will be tourists from all over the world - definitely go for the flats then as the combination of cobbles, and all the interesting things to see and do could leave you with tired feet.





If you are going out to restaurants in the evening, definitely wear the heels - don%26#39;t worry about what other people think. Most people dress up to go to restaurants and the theatre (pants and skirts) so you won%26#39;t be out of place at all (although the heels might be a bit over-the-top if you are going into a proper Czech pub!).





The fur coat may actually be a bit warm depending on when in November you%26#39;ll be here - the weather over the past week has been around 20 degrees celsius (sorry, not sure about fahrenheit!), although it has dropped to 13 today. It may also be a bit conspicuous as some Czech women do wear them, but not in November as it isn%26#39;t usually cold enough then.




|||



Wear comfy shoes if you are sight seeing.





Just wear what you feel comfortable in, you are not going to a fashion show, so you only have to suit yourself.





We went over to Prague about Sep it was still quite warm, noticed people wearing a mixture of clothes.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 27, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment