Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Best form of Cash

I%26#39;ll be spending two nights in Prague and am not sure what I should do for cash. Should I purchase Euros in traveler%26#39;s checks in the U.S? Should I use a debit card and get cash from ATM? Are there plenty of machines available to get cash? Or should I just try to charge everything on my VISA?I am trying to keep the exchange charges to a minimum.






|||



Hi



Travellers cheques are a waste of time, and Euros are not Czech currency. Use your Visa for big purchases and get cash with your debit card from ATMs.



Check out what your bank will charge you to use ATMs abroad and do a bit of research, maybe open a new account just for your travels. In England we have one bank who do not charge for it%26#39;s debit card use anywhere in the world, so maybe there will be one in the USA which has the same policy.



Have a good trip



Jackie




|||



I agree with Kackie.travellers cheques are a waste of time and money in Europe regardless of what American Express say (they are the ones that make the commision selling them) Use your credit card and the ATM%26#39;s.there are plenty of them all over the place.



I have use my Visa for lots of transaction s in Europe and ALWAYS had a favourable exchange rate,but I am using GBP not the Dollar.




|||



sorry about the typo Jackie.I am convinced this keyboard is jinxed.




|||



remember when you get cash from the ATM that most banks charge a fee per transaction - it is the same however much or little you withdraw. I would always bring some Euros in cash, just in case that in an emergency, you need to change them




|||



Thanks to all who replied. I will be taking your advice.




|||



Are you saying that it is cheaper/easier to exchange euros compared to USD. I tried to get Czech money today at our local bank and they were not able to get it so I got Euros instead as I will be in Germany before flying to Prague...I am going to try to use my Visa/Mastercard as much as I can.




|||



No. The exchange commission for Euros should be the same as dollars. what i am saying is that in an emergency - let%26#39;s say the ATM doesn%26#39;t work or your ATM / credit card got lost / stolen, many places will accept Euros readily as payment, but will not accept dollars.





And of course, you can use your Euros in Germany




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 17, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment