Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mandarin Oriental

We%26#39;re going to Prague in late Nov for 6 days and want to splurge a little. Has anybody stayed at this hotel?




|||



I have not, but I have seen it and it is beautiful, opened only 6 weeks or so, great location, super quiet. I have had the best asian meal there yesterday - fabulous!




|||



It%26#39;s only been open for 6 weeks. I know two people who%26#39;ve stayed here as part of %26quot;travel agency deals%26quot; and people have said that inside is great and service is good. Quiet area etc. Some external finishing is still going on but I don%26#39;t see any big problems.





Jason




|||



Thanks!




|||



Hi Martina,





Can you tell me what you had to eat and describe the menu a bit?I%26#39;d like to eat there, but I cannot find a menu for Essesnia on the website.




|||



I have had Tiger Prawns, spicy - delicious! I think about 390 Crowns. 4 huge pices, two spicy dips. The bread is great as well.



Then I had the Chicken Tikka Masala with rice and Papadum, spicy, tasty, beautiful diplay. Around 500 Crowns I am not so sure.





The menu has Aisan starters and mains and so called Paneuropean starters and main dishes. I did not look at the European part.




|||



I was disappointed with the Mandarin when I visited to eat there. The food and service was of a good standard, but the restaurant has no view, you feel like you are eating in a tent with the ceiling decor, tables close together and for what you pay, you can have a much better experience in one of Prague%26#39;s top restaurants outside the hotel, including the Alchymist club down the street





thought the entrance courtyard to the hotel was dismal - one huge yard of concrete - no vegetation anywhere.





But the rooms they showed us were very nice. Modern furniture, and so a little cold, if you don%26#39;t like that kind of thing, but comfortable. Don%26#39;t let this put you off from staying; you will be well looked after, but unless it is cold and wet, you may have better value eating outside




|||



My wife and I ate at the Mandarin Oriental%26#39;s restaurant Essensia last night. I would pretty much agree with peb7%26#39;s review.





We very much enjoyed the food -- Asian oriented, which we like and good quality. It has probably the highest standard of Asian dishes in Prague. But that is not saying so much. The same or better dishes are widely available in New York., at lower prices.





The rooms of the restaurant do not seem up to the standard of such a high class hotel. It is very austere -- almost no decoration and white walls. The marble-style floors make it very noisy. There was music playing, but it was so soft it was inaudible. The lighting is a too bright, with light fixtures that contain bare halogen spots -- not very stylish. The only interesting tough was bonsai trees on the table.





The service was friendly, but awkward. As my wife returned from the rest room, a server rushed over to try to pull her seat out after she had already sat down. My wife complained that you had to take an elevator to the restroom, there was not a single mirror there, and the soap came from a tube on the sink.





Overall, a cold and boring atmosphere. Not in line with that hotel and the prices they charge.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 15, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment