Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Iron Gate or Maximilian

Hi I am looking at going to Prage for a weekend in January, I think I have narrowed it down to The Iron Gate or Maximilian hotels, has anyone experience of both?



We are looking for a hotel in the old town. Last time we were in prague we got in a taxi we ended up in a car chase!! So I do not want to have to get a taxi.




|||



read the reviews of both hotels on the reviews section of this site. I prefer the maximilian, not least because of the thai massages you can get in the basement of the hotel




|||



I did and Ive read mixed reviews of both, but both mainly get good reviews, I also prefer the Maximilian but I was worried when I heard that there were some robberies there.




|||



I think both have had problems with break-ins in the last year. I prefer the Iron Gate not only because I like the rooms and courtyard but also because of the location i.e. I like the street and spend a fair amount of time in it. Come out of the hotel and immediately in front of you is U Modre Kachniky, one of Prague%26#39;s nicer restaurants. Turn right and you%26#39;ll pass a nice art gallery, cafe/bar, tea room, Jazz club, couple more restaurants etc. Maximilian is also great but, around that area I get the feeling of southern Paris (you%26#39;ll see the building designs), I get the feeling of Prague from Michalska (Iron Gate) i.e. closed in street, dare I say it %26quot;Bohemian%26quot;. Must make a note about the Thai massage place in Max. Personally I%26#39;d stay at the Iron Gate and get a massage at Sabai.





Jason




|||



sabai run the thai massage operation in maximilian, but the maximilian is a lot cosier than the soulless place that they have in slovansky dum




|||



So thats 1 for Max and 1 for Iron!! The Max is working out around 20% cheaper than the Iron Gate which is slightly swaying me. I presume both are centrally located and in fairly safe areas.




|||



both are centrally situated less than 10 minutes walk to the old town square. Maximilian is in a wider and quieter street than the Iron Gate. Prague is generally safe, even at night




|||



I stayed at the Maximilian for 3 nights in August and loved it! They also had THE best breakfast.




|||



I would prefer the Maximilian as well, the location is much quieter, even though the courtyard as Jason says at the Iron Gate is much prettier. Both locations are excellent. I think Iron Gates is overpriced.




|||



Also in Prague in January... coincidentally last trip was to Ireland, Kinsale not Kildare!





I%26#39;m watching this posting develop and may be joining you.






|||



Stayed at Iron Gate a week ago and we loved it. Never stayed at Maximilian, although did consider it as an option before booking Iron Gate, then once in Prague, by chance, had breakfast in a coffee house across the square from Maximilian.





I%26#39;d recommend Iron Gate, but location wise (the only fair comparison I can make) there%26#39;s probably not much in it - on opposite sides of, but very similar distance, from Old Town Square. Iron Gate nearer Charles Bridge, Maximilian nearer St Wenceslas Sq, but either way, it takes about 5 minutes to walk between the two hotels. To my untrained eye (this was my first visit to Prague) there seemed to be more bars very near Iron Gate, although I think you can see 3 or 4 from the door of Maximilian.





Having stayed at Iron Gate, not sure we%26#39;d book elsewhere , unless price dictated.

No comments:

Post a Comment