Thursday, April 12, 2012

Best Beer Hall?........

Hiya!





Me and my boyfriend (25 and 30 respectively), are off to Prague in Mid March. We want to experience a good ol%26#39; Beer Hall (you know massive beer mugs, they could almost pass for a litre?). Plus, it needs to be tourist friendly and cheap - any ideas?





Thanks!





GG




|||



one place not to be missed is U Fleku, highly recommend this place (they were going thru%26#39; some revonation last Spring/summer but a large part of it was still open).





Good Luck




|||



here are lots of good beer halls in Prague



www.classiccitybrew.com/prague



www.praguepubs.co.uk



will list lots for you.



my favourites are U Vejvodou %26amp; U Medvidku.I also enjoyed the Klasterini Pivovar at the Strahov Monestry.



I have been in U Fleku a couple of times but not for a few years and it is very touristy but will be a lot quieter in March.



click on %26quot;more about unclegus%26quot; and look at my Go List on Prague.I was there in March this year and visited many pubs and beerhalls,my impressions of them are on this review.



I must admit in all the bars I have been in in Prague over many years I have never seen any of the big 1 litre beer glasses,most places sell beer as a 500ml measure,though several do a 400ml glass.



All the places I mention the beer is on average 40czk (£1) for a 500ml glass,though some places were cheaper.




|||



I know my avatar shows me drinking a liter of beer but this was a few months ago in Crete and not in Prague.



BTW the beer was called Mythos and was bloody awful.




|||



I second the vote for U Vejvodou. I walked past this place a dozen times before I went in, since it looks like a small, nondescript bar. However, if you go through the upstairs bar and go down the steps in the back, there are two great rooms. One is rather small and intimate and the other is a very large room with a balcony and glass skylight. It%26#39;s a great room as I said, and the beer is excellent (Pilsner U) and food is not bad either.



I went to U Fleku but was almost immediately put off...too crowded, touristy and not as much atmosphere as I thought.




|||



I second the vote for U Vejvodou. I walked past this place a dozen times before I went in, since it looks like a small, nondescript bar. However, if you go through the upstairs bar and go down the steps in the back, there are two great rooms. One is rather small and intimate and the other is a very large room with a balcony and glass skylight. It%26#39;s a great room as I said, and the beer is excellent (Pilsner U) and food is not bad either.



I went to U Fleku but was almost immediately put off...too crowded, touristy and not as much atmosphere as I thought.




|||



definately not u flecku - so touristy and you feel like you are in germany not in prague. u vejvodu is much cleaner looking than v medvicku, but if you want to coolest of beers and some traditional food - pork, cabbage and dumplings, i prefer u medvicku. I think though the answer depends on if you prefer budvar (which u medvicku serves) or pilsner (which u vejvodu serves). i prefer budvar




|||



i woundn`t go to u fleku for a beer unless you consider it a %26quot;monument%26quot; and pass by to pay %26quot;respects%26quot; :D :D :D





i went last year for first time and i was disappointed. expensive (considering the alternatives) not that good food and full of tourists at their 50s




|||



My experience of U Fleku is that it is also not that cheap and its easy to get sucked in to buying the Berechkova. If you want to try some brew pubs make a beeline for Novomestsky Pivvoar and Pivovarsky Dum. You may be confusing Prague wth somewhere like Munich where you get litre steins and huge beer halls - the ones in Prague are not really on same scale




|||



If you want local ambience and the expected great beer, I would also recommend U Medvidku; the beer is cheap at around 35 crowns. Up the street (2-Minute Walk) is the aforementioned U Vejvodu. I really liked this place - very friendly service, great Pilsner (half-liters) at about 28.90 crowns. If you seek something a little out of the way, I second the previous recommendation for Klasterni Pivovar at the Strahov Monastery. They brew their own beer on the premises (both amber and dark); if you have a taste for really good beer in an out of the way location, go here. By the way, there are two sections: the brewery-restaurant on the left and the larger restaurant on the right.



Enjoy Prague - I can%26#39;t wait to return.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 18, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment