Sunday, April 15, 2012

Which opera house is the nicest?

There is the Estates Theatre, the National Theatre, and the State Opera House. If you had to rate them, which one looks the best, second, third?





I am looking to go see an opera or ballet. Any one have any opinions regarding either. I understand that the two are totally separate events and can%26#39;t really be compared. But which one would you rather do?





I am looking forward to either watching the Magic Flute on at the Estate or A Midsummer%26#39;s Night Dream in the State Opera House.




|||



Also has anyone seen Jenufa, I was thinking of watching this at the National theatre on 11/23.




|||



I have never been in the state Opera house,but believe it to be a wonderful place.I have however been in the Estates theatre several times,and it is a very beautiful building.It is a quite small intimate theatre and were Mozart himself premiered the Opera Don Giovanni.It is also were many scenes from the film Amedeus were shot.The Magic flute is an excellent opera,I have not seen it in Prague but have seen a couple of versions of it in Britain. I%26#39;m afraid i am not a fan of ballet.




|||



Hi



This year we%26#39;ve been to both the Estates theatre and the National and I prefer the Estates.



There is not much in it and if I would go back again to either, it would just depend on which opera was showing.



You could of course go to both.



Jackie




|||



I second the two opinions, the Estates is smaller and more intimate and yet very impressive.





(Every visitor we have wants to see either the Magic Flute or Don Giovanni - I am completely Mozarted out!)




|||



Midsummer nights dream is ballet, not opera. Jenufa is difficult.





I would go for La traviata at the State opera house on 23rd November




|||



I have seen the Magic Flute at the Estates Theatre which was lovely and very easy to follow as they displayed English subtiltles. I also saw Don Giovanni at the Estates. There were no subtitles for this but I printed from the internet a copy of the action and had no trouble following it.





This coming Friday I am going to see Carmen at the State Opera. I have again printed the story and will familiarise myself with it beforehand. Looking forward ot it very much. We have best seats which cost around £35 each.




|||



I always go to the Opera when in Prague.





On my last visit I saw Madame Butterfly at the state opera and before that Don Giovanni at the estates. I had a box at the state and stalls at estates.





Both are great opera houses. But neither match the opera house in Budapest which is fantastic.





State opera feels a little more formal and for me that is part of the fun of going. I prefer the location of estates, the state OH on the very busy raod and going via the underpass dampens it a tad.





People wearing jeans to the opera is just wrong and that seemed more common at estates. Sound is very good at both.





For me it depends on the production rather than the venue.




|||



Just back in the UK from Prague. We went to see Carmen at the State Opera on 17 November. It was wonderful. We had terrific seats in the stalls, 8 rows back and in the centre.





I agree, the State Opera is a bit of a pain to get to but worth it. The interior is very impressive.





There were people attending dressed in dinner jackets, evening dresses and also others in jeans. I went for a middle ground with a black outfit with some sparkly jewellry and think I got it about right.




|||



Thats funny...we were at the Opera the same night as you. We decided to go last minute...discovered that they only take crowns at the box office...made a mad dash back thru the underpass...to find a money change office...ran back to the box office with our crowns...celebrated with a glass of champagne and then settled down to enjoy Carmen......whew! I thought the Opera was very good and the building was beautiful. Enjoyed those who did dress up.




|||



Hey, KG what a coincidence. My husband%26#39;s job is based in Prague so he had bought our tickets months ago, or at least he sent his secretary out to buy them!!





Glad you enjoyed it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment