Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Really - what's safe for pickpockets and what's not?

For example if I take a small shoulderbag with a simple camera and some other relatively worthless stuff, are the chances of it being stolen high?





And how about money in a portemonnaie in the pocket of my pants? Or coat, maybe in the pocket inside it? And the travellers wallets that you wear around the neck?





I%26#39;m worried that I will come home with nothing left at the moment, because of some messages I read on these forums and also on other sites. If someone could tell me once and for all what%26#39;s safe and not, that would be great. So, thanks in advance.




|||



Nothing is completely safe....well maybe something that you wear on your body under your clothes. We were there last month and did not have any problems with pickpockets...although we were warned many times so were constantly watching our purses. We would notice groups of 3..usually young men...around the trams loading areas with backpacks...I just turned around and looked them all right in the eye...this happened more than once. Just keep your wits and belongings close to you...I kept my purse tucked under my arm at all times. I thought the tip about the flower seller in the bar was a good one...I probably would have been taken on that one as well. Also the tip to only carry what you need for a short time is a good one also. We loved Prague...it is not a combat zone by any means...just a city like so many others where this sort of thing happens.




|||



Let%26#39;s put this straight, Muggings in prague are very rare. Most of the pickpocketing which happens are petty pickpockecting and opportunist, often where people are on holiday and don%26#39;t take adequate precautions. If you take precautions, you should have no trouble.





If there is crowding on a tram or mtero, either go to another carriage or wait for the next one - they come within 5 minutes of eachother




|||



You will be fine as long as you keep your wits about and do not have anything out in the open.





Prague is a great place and too much is made of the pickpocket issue, its the same as any other large city.





Just be vigilant and dont go flaunting you valuables about and enjoy the great city of prague!!




|||



Thanks. :-)





I%26#39;ve never been mugged in Paris, Rome, Barcelona or Amsterdam, so I guess I do have some sense. I just shouldn%26#39;t read so many horror stories on the internet! ;-)




|||



peb



i,m sorry



the pickpocketing in prague is neither petty or opportunist



its exactly the opposite



its organised and pre meditated



well known that gangs earn a living by this !!



i love prague but was targeted twice in 2 days !!



unless it happens to you ,then please do not comment



if it doesnt happen to you ,it does not mean there no problem



for gods sake!!




|||



I haven%26#39;t been to Prague (yet) but my take on the whole thing is that most likely, if you don%26#39;t let your guard down and you use common sense (like don%26#39;t carry a open bag, make sure it has a zipper and is zippered at all times) then it probably won%26#39;t be a big problem. Or at least it%26#39;ll lower your chances of being a target.





I would not put money or anything of value in your pocket unless the pocket has a closure to it (like a button or zipper). I would also put your shoulder bag on one shoulder but across your body if the strap is long enough, versus just putting it over your shoulder. I plan to only take my purse which has a long enough strap to put it across my body.





I have read that pickpocketing is a bigger problem in Prague then most places but the truth is that thieves are always going to target tourists in any city or country because tourists are on vacation and they want to relax and thus wind up letting their guard down.





So just make sure you don%26#39;t let your guard down and don%26#39;t be naive or fall for their %26quot;tricks%26quot; (which is why this forum is good, you can read about some of the common tricks so you%26#39;re aware and don%26#39;t fall for them).




|||



It is everywhere:





* I was literally chased by a group of child pickpockets holding cardboard box tops to block your view of their hands in Rome. Lucky I%26#39;d heard about this trick.





* I felt a man%26#39;s finger in the front pocket of my jeans on a Madrid subway. Later, I saw a purse snatcher running full speed down a crowded street as his victim ran screaming behind him. No one stopped him (he was past me before I realized what happened).





I%26#39;ve seen quite a few incidents in Prague. A guy on a tram grapped a woman%26#39;s purse and jumped through the doors just as they were closing. My wife got her wallet lifted from her purse while she was standing next to me on the metro. A man asked my father to stamp a tram ticket for him while his friend was trying to get his camera off his belt (my wife intervened and pulled him away).





Sometimes the thief loses -- I saw a man in a tug-of war over a bag with another man trying to get it back for a woman until the police came. The best was a large tourist with sunglasses was resting on a bench in Old Town Square a few summers ago. His bag was under his bench. I looked over just as the thief grabbed the back and the man, who the thief though was sleeping, jumped up. The thief ran across the square and saw the man picking up his bag, not chasing him, so he turned his back and walked around the corner. The big man then ran across the square and around the corner. He came back with a smile. Said he caught him and sent him flying.




|||



Very similar to my experience where I saw the guy take my camera bag just as he turned to run. I just say that you need to be on guard. I had my money in my sock and a copy of my passport with the real one in the hotel.




|||



Sorry for all the typos in my post -- I was typing fast after a long day.




|||



we enjoyed a great 9 days in prague but on the second day my travel companion did have her purse stolen from her bag on a crowded metro advice taken let the full ones go and wait we are on holiday and not in a rush we contacted police who came and took us to a police station where they had an in terpritor to help out and yes they said its very comon our thief was an elderly guy working in a gang

No comments:

Post a Comment