Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Setting the record straight. . .

Lets get things straight before we go into more detail. Prague is still one of Europe%26#39;s greatest cities, absolutely no doubt. It has enormous beauty (especially the Old Town), it has history, attitude and not forgetting great beer!



To those people who%26#39;ve never been, forget all the negative reports on this site (and some others) and get yourself there ASAP!



Yes sure, it%26#39;s not perfect but then again where is? The thing is, the plus points far outweigh the minus ones.





The four of us arrived on a Sunday evening about 9.00pm and were promptly picked up by our driver who took us to our hotel (this was arranged by Tomas Mrnavy of Cook Travel) Our hotel was U Tri Bubnu (The Three Drums)



I would recommend this hotel without any hesitation, the location is fantastic, just yards from the Old Town square. The rooms were warm, pleasant and very adequate and the staff were really helpful.





I won%26#39;t go into a full blown, full detail report of our trip but i%26#39;ll highlight a few places that people should try (in my humblest opinion)



Restaurants:





Kolkovna (v Kolkovne 8, Prague1)



This place is owned by the Pilsner Urquell brewery and is excellent.



The beer is fantastic (i had a litre of their finest and it cost 69czk, about £1.70) The food was really good and hearty fare it was too. We had 4 main courses, 4 sweets, 4 beers and coffees and the bill came to 1,908czk, about £50.00!



Restaurant U Golema (Maiselova 8, Prague 1)



This cosy place was just up the road from our hotel and was lovely. The food was fine, nothing spectacular but good Czech cuisine. We had 4 main courses, 3 sweets, 1 bottle of wine, 3 beers and 3 coffees and the damage came to 1,870, about £48.00



Finally, for a more indulgent experience, try the 7 Angels restaurant, which is on Jilska in the main tourist area. We dined here on our last night and really enjoyed it. We all had 3 courses each, 2 bottles of wine, numerous beers and 4 coffees and spent 3,870czk (about £99.00) but considering there were 4 of us and we were entertained by the resident band we thought it was good value.



By the wat, my wife an I own our own restaurant and I%26#39;m a chef, so we know a bit about the catering trade! Try these places, you%26#39;ll really enjoy them.





Do yourself a favour while you%26#39;re in Prague, don%26#39;t go to the usual places we can get at home (McDonalds, KFC Pizza Hut etc. etc.) go to the smaller independant ones, where you will be looked after and try something different, you will be rewarded.





We did all the usual tourist bits, Charles Bridge, Old Town square, Prague Castle, Wenceslas Square. Everything is within walking distance and it really is the only way to see Prague.



The people were great, the city is buzzing and I can%26#39;t wait to go back and i can%26#39;t recommend Prague highly enough.



Forget all the negative tosh being banded about, this place is one of the World%26#39;s gems! Get there!





The G-Man




|||



Thanks Gee Man for your post, We are flying to Prague next Sunday and I was getting alittle worried by all the negative posts in this forum. Now I am looking forward to my trip again and please other posters tell about the good things not just the bad.




|||



gee man,



good post and could not agree more, yes prague has its down side,for us it was my wife being pickpocketed, but the city is a wonderful mix of life, and would tell anyone to go and enjoy it




|||



its a great lace, everywhere has its DOWN side, and people are always more inclined to write in to complain than to praise. take a look here..





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKlYF4_URBg





and here





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyu9JJFEQSs




|||



We had three great nights in Prague at the start of the month. As I was almost glued to the forums before I left, I was disappointed at the amount of negative comments. Having now been, I can now see why these people felt like they did, though my experience was good.





The impression that I got when I was there is that Czech people are maybe not as friendly as I have experienced on my other travels. This is not a criticism, just an observation. This seems a bit disconcerting as central Prague is so geared towards tourism and visitors may expect to be more actively welcomed. But nobody was rude to us and mostly our service was fine. Prague is a beautiful city and as women, we felt very safe. None of us had any trouble (no pickpocketing etc.) even though we were out in the city late at night. I personally only saw one stag group and one hen party (both in an Irish bar, so it was to be expected) but I didn%26#39;t see any other large groups of drunken people.





I am definitely planning to go back to Prague in the next year or so with a different group of friends and for those that are worried about some of the negative things being said - don%26#39;t be. Go and see for yourself.




|||



Kb



Just been on the youtube you recommended it was great, well done!! I will be back there the day after tomorrow for 4 nights and cant wait!!!



G-Man



Great review you summed it up so well.I have wondered about going to the 7 angels all the other times I have been but have never really seen a good review so it has put me off however if we get the chance we may give it a go and if not now then when we return inJanuary.



TORII




|||



I can%26#39;t think of what I want to say but the upshot of it is whingey unhappy people tell about 5 times more people than happy people do. Keep up the good work of telling people how great Prague is, cos at times the negativity on here is very off putting.




|||



I could not agree with you more. I went last month with a German friend....what a positive experience....and I went completely cluesless and have to admit a little nervous after reading some of the negative reviews before going. I find though a trip is what you make of it....I love Paris, New York, Beijing....all of which I have heard complaints about....I really think it all about attitude.




|||



P.S. I loved all you people from the UK.....what a friendly group...someone always eager to help us once they heard us speak English...I think my next trip will have to be to your part of the world.




|||



GeeMan,





What was the dress code at the 7 Angels? Did you make a reservation there for dinner??





Thanks!




|||



I have stayed at the 7 angels three times it is great . Highly recommended and we are having my daughters wedding reception there June next year. They have been really helpful with the arrangements etc;

No comments:

Post a Comment