Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Extension onto trip to Prague - any suggestions??

I will be travelling to Prague at the end of May 2007. We will be flying from Toronto to Frankfurt then connecting onto Prague. I am hoping to visit another country in addition to seeing Prague. My top three choices are to visit either:



1. Germany - since our flight is via Frankfurt, I was thinking of stopping here for a few days and taking the train to visit Berlin and or Munich



2. Going to Budapest via train from Prague



3. Flying from Frankfurt to Athens and visiting Santorini etc





I would have about 6 days in total. So looking for your suggestions...Should I go with choice 1, 2 or 3 and why??



Thanks for your help, looking forward to reading your replies!




|||



If you only have 6 days, you don%26#39;t have a lot of time to travel between locations. Personally, I wouldn%26#39;t spend the time in Frankfurt, but would try seeing Prague and one additional city. I%26#39;d spend a minimum of 3 days in Prague.





Budapest would be lovely although both Munich and Vienna are closer. I%26#39;ve driven rather than taken the trains so can%26#39;t speak to the train schedules. To drive from Munich to Prague is about 4 hours, and Munich is a very charming city. Vienna would be about a similar distance and is wonderful. I%26#39;m wondering if for any of those cities you could change your ticket, so that you can return from your end destination directly to Frankfurt rather than returning to Prague. When you have such a short time to travel, you may not want to spend half a day or more just returning to Prague to catch your plane.





I wouldn%26#39;t recommend Greece, as getting to and from the airports would cut your time there too short. Save Greece for another time when you can devote the trip to it.




|||



berlin will be more easily connectable than other places, as there are direct trains from both and prague.





If considering germany, why not look at koln, bonn or heidelburg for a night or so which are nearer frankfurt and will allow you more time for prague. you can get good cheap flights between koln and prague by germanwings.




|||



Thanks for your suggestions. I didn%26#39;t make it too clear on my first post but I will be in Prague for 1 week and looking to add on 6-7 additional days to see another country. So I will be in Europe for two weeks altogether. My husband and I have already been to Vienna and really found it to be a beautiful city. Our flight flies from Toronto to Frankfurt...so Frankfurt being a hub for connecting flights/trains makes it easy to slot in another city to visit.



Is 6 days enough time to fly to Greece and see Athens plus Santorini etc.???



If I decide to stay in Germany - is May a good time to visit ( i.e. weather) and if so which places should we focus on.



There is also the option of Budapest although I think 6 days might be too long there...any thoughts???



Thanks!




|||



budapest in the winter is not recommended and you will be bored with 6 days. If you want a country nearby, try a dresden / berlin combination, or a vienna / salzburg combination




|||



As Peb7 mentioned, think about a trip to Berlin. It%26#39;s a fascinating city with tons of things to see and do...very vibrant, edgy and cosmopolitan yet reeking of history at the same time. Berlin also has some of the best museums in the world located in an area called Museum Island. One museum that shouldn%26#39;t be missed is the Pergamon Museum, which houses replications of various Babylonian and Persian architecture, such as the Gate of Ishtar. Absolutely spectacular.




|||



I think I would take a few days each side, from Frankfurt I would go to Prague Via Rothenburg ob der Tauber, maybe Nurnberg, and Karlovy vary, then have my time in Prague and return with a longer detour through Cesky Krumlov, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich (one day each).




|||



I would suggest Poland, including Auschwitz and Krakow. Not that far by train and well worth it.




|||



not far by train means all day or overnight




|||



I%26#39;m planning in December 3 days each in Berlin, Dresden and Prague, conncting by train to each. Really looking forward to it, the distance between each is about 2 hours by train.





If you go to Germany and take trains, study the DB website, there are some good fares if you qualify. I%26#39;ve heard Cesky Krumlov is fantastic, but I won%26#39;t make it there this trip. And that Karlovy Vary is great for spa lovers, which is not my thing.





http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en




|||



Karlovy Vary is interesting for the scenery as well as being a spa. You can take the little funicular train up to get onto the hill tops.





The route I suggested has very little extra travelling from the arrival to frankfurt and journey to and from Prague. I would also love to see the places in Poland, btu thats EXTRA travelling, not just picking the best route.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKlYF4_URBg





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyu9JJFEQSs

No comments:

Post a Comment